Comptroller Franchot Stops Processing Returns from 22 More Private Tax Preparers
Suspicious Filings Prompt Comptroller to Act for Fourth Time this Tax Season
ANNAPOLIS, Md. (February 25, 2016) – In his ongoing effort to combat tax fraud and identity theft, Comptroller Peter Franchot today announced that, effective immediately, he has suspended processing electronic and paper tax returns from 22 private tax preparers at 25 locations throughout the region and three out-of-state locations due to a high volume of questionable returns received.
The preparers or businesses notified of the action are:
- Charles Multi Services, 216 Carson Court, Pocomoke City, MD 21851
- Fachel Tax Service, 6331 Belair Road, Baltimore, MD 21206
- Swift Tax Service, 1012 H St. NE, Washington, DC 20002, and 3905 Benning Road NE,Washington, DC 20019
- Phenomenal Tax Service Corp., 1055 Ingleside Ave, Ste. 100, Baltimore, MD 21228
- Irene’s Taxes, 4610 Winterberry Lane, Oxon Hill, MD 20745
- TA Income Tax Service, 4833 Belair Road, Baltimore, MD 21213
- JMD Tax Service, 2700 W. Franklin St., Baltimore MD 21223
- Marcjeze Tax Services, 5864 B Belair Road, Baltimore, MD 21206
- Bodmars Tax Service, 4903 Belair Road, Baltimore, MD 21206
- MK Tax Services and Investment LLC, 1031 W. Baltimore St., Baltimore, MD 21223
- Swift Pro Tax Service, 10 Pine Cone Court, Nottingham, MD 21236
- Griffin Financial, 1424 Colony Road, Oxon Hill 20745
- Neighborhood Tax Services, also known as Royal Auto Sales N Neighborhood Tax or People Tax Services at 3219 Belair Road, Baltimore MD 21213 and 3226 Belair Road, Ste. A, Baltimore MD 21213
- Chimex Tax Service, 2654 Maryland Ave., Baltimore, MD 21218
- Tax Central USA, 5515 Livingston Road, Ste. 200, Forest Heights, MD 20745
- J & J Tax Service, 17205 Summerwood Lane, Accokeek, MD 20607
- The Tax Store 101 LLC, 1508 Kingshill St., Bowie, MD 20721
- Broadview Advisors and Co., Inc., 8757 Georgia Ave, Ste. 440, Silver Spring, MD 20910
- Evaniel Francois, 2124 Airport Road, Ste. 109, Naples, FL 34112
- Eskindes Accounting and Tax LLC, 3379 Highway 5, Ste. K, Douglasville, GA 30135
- Verita’s Efile Service Inc., 3 Centerview Drive, Greensboro, NC 27407, and 5720 Alameda
Baltimore, MD 21239
- Jovan LLC, 5225 Harford Road, Baltimore, MD 21214
The latest suspensions follow announcements in the past several weeks that the Comptroller’s Office had halted processing returns from 37 other tax preparers at 41 locations, including 23 Liberty Tax Service franchises.
Comptroller Franchot, pursuant to the recently signed IRS Security Memorandum of
Understanding (“MOU”), has shared this information with other tax agencies. The Comptroller’s Office has also advised the Office of the Attorney General and the Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation of the decision, so that they can take any additional appropriate actions.
The suspicious characteristics detected on the tax returns prompting the determination included:
- Business income reported when taxpayers did not own a business.
- Refund amounts requested much higher than previous year tax returns.
- Inflated and/or undocumented business expenses.
- Dependents claimed when taxpayer did not provide required 50 percent support or care, and/or
- Inflated wages and withholding information.
- Inflated itemized deductions.
Taxpayers should carefully review their returns for these issues and should be suspicious if a tax preparer deducts fees from their refund, does not sign their tax return, or fails to include their preparer taxpayer identification number “P-TIN” on the return. In the event that a taxpayer suspects fraud, they are asked to immediately report the issue to the Comptroller’s Office by calling 1-800-MD-TAXES (1-800-638-2937) or410-260-7980 in Central Maryland or by emailing [email protected].
To review the list of previous preparers from which Comptroller Franchot has suspended processing returns, visit the Comptroller’s website at http://www.marylandtaxes.com/
If taxpayers want to check to see if the Comptroller’s Office is processing returns from a particular tax preparer, or on their status for a previously filed claim, they are asked to contact the Maryland Comptroller’s Office Ombudsman at 410-260-4020.
If taxpayers suspect fraud, they are asked to immediately report the issue to the Comptroller’s Questionable Return Detection Team at [email protected].