A Young Magician’s Long Walk Home

A Landover teenage was robbed at gunpoint Aug. 10, a day Victor G. Jones, 17, will remember for the rest of his life.

Around 9 p.m., Jones’ shift at his second job, McDonalds’s, was over. Jones’ primary job was being a magician, in which he can make predictions about people by looking at and examining their body language.

Before leaving the exit doors of McDonald’s, Jones asked co-workers for a ride home from work, which was about 3.35 miles away from where he lived. However, his co-workers who drove already had a full car of people or were working too late. Leaving with no other alternative, Jones proceeded to walk home.

As Jones was walking pass Jericho City of Praise Church in Landover, in route to his house, he noticed a Black Crown Victoria car drives pass him. Not thinking too much of it, Jones continues walking. The car made a left turn and then stopped at the corner, which was in the walkway of Jones. A man with a ski mask on then emerged from the driver’s seat and strolled to the back of his car to the trunk.

“I wanted to go another way, but I didn’t want to make it obvious that I was trying to avoid them,” Jones told the AFRO. “I did not want to turn my back on them.”

As Jones continued his walk home, he started to cross the street, walking past the car. At this point, another man with a ski mask exits from the car. Jones noticed that this man had a gun in his possession. The man then yelled at Jones to “get on the ground.”

“I did not hear what he said at first, so I didn’t get on the ground,” Jones said. “Then he said it again loudly.”

As Jones lay on the ground, the man with the gun then told him to “put his face towards the ground.”

With his face in the ground, another man departed the car and ran up to Jones, kicking him repeatedly. To make matters worst, Jones believes about three more people exited the car, making it six in all. They then begin to kick Jones repeatedly while he lay on the ground helpless.

After the kicking stopped, Jones phone was taken from him. After his phone was taken, Jones’ worst nightmare happened. “I felt the presence of a gun pointed to the back of my head,” Jones said.

As Jones lay there with a gun pointed to his head, one of the six men pulled the trigger, but nothing came out. They pulled the trigger continuously, but nothing came out of the gun. After having no luck, the men hopped back in their car. Sensing that they have left, Jones looked around. As he was searching through the darkness, he noticed the black car was sitting at the corner, like a statue in the night.

“I saw the car, but I didn’t move because I did not want anything to happen to me or turn my back on them.”

Jones just stood in the night, staring into the car of men who almost took his life. After a couple of minutes, the car drove off.

Once the car took off, Jones took his shoes off and ran home. Before entering his house, Jones saw a man standing in the dark. He approached the man and asked to use his phone. The man noticed his shoes were off and asked him what happened. Jones told him and the man called the police right away.

The police then went on to file a case for him and told him that the car “probably was stolen.”

Despite this incident nearly happening a month ago, the police have not contacted Jones or his father about any further details of his case.

For Jones, this was midlife wake up call. “It’s a life lesson,” Jones said. “I felt as if I would have died there, my life would have been nothing. I wasn’t using my full potential and was lazy. Now, I’m more serious about my magician business and about life.”

Jones graduated from Charles Herbert Flowers high school in May with a 2.8 GPA. Jones plans on attending Prince George’s County Community College in the spring next year for Journalism, and then transferring to Coppin University afterwards.

Jones lives with his father and one of his three brothers. His parents are divorced.

447 total views, 1 views today

A Young Magician's Long Walk Home


Latest Tweets

    Message: Rate limit exceeded, Please check your Twitter Authentication Data or internet connection.