Utility is concerned for the safety of its customers and employees
BALTIMORE, Feb. 8, 2010 – Baltimore Gas and Electric Company (BGE), a subsidiary of Constellation Energy (NYSE: CEG), today encouraged customers to take the following steps to help ensure the safety of their families as well as BGE employees engaged in the service restoration effort.
* Stay away from downed power lines and call BGE at 1-877-778-2222 immediately to report them.
* Keep area around pad-mounted transformers and switches clear of ice and snow so that BGE restoration crews can locate the equipment and gain access. Pad-mounted transformers and switches are square green boxes (measuring approximately 3x3x3) which are usually located on front or side lawns in residential areas and are even larger green boxes adjacent to parking areas and buildings in commercial settings.
* Keep gas meters and attached equipment clear of ice and snow to avoid malfunction. Use a broom, not a shovel when clearing ice and snow from around gas meters.
* Keep ice and snow away from heat pump coils to avoid malfunction.
* Keep outside pipes which provide ventilation for direct-vent furnaces and water heaters clear of ice and snow.
* Keep outside dryer vents clear of snow and ice build-up.
* Mark areas such as in-ground swimming pools so that BGE personnel who may have to walk through backyards to access equipment can avoid walking on snow covered pool covers which may become unstable and collapse.
BGE thanks is customers for following these recommendations as it continues to work around-the-clock to restore service to the remaining customers affected by Friday’s storm. More than 94,000 customers have been restored and the utility is on target to restore the vast majority of those still out of service by this evening. The utility is also monitoring the weather and preparing for new outages associated with an approaching storm expected to reach Central Maryland by Tuesday evening or Wednesday morning.
BGE, www.bge.com <file:///C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\e48945\Local%20Settings\Temporary%20Internet%20Files\OLK9A\www.bge.com> , headquartered in Baltimore, is Maryland’s largest gas and electric utility, delivering power to more than 1.2 million electric customers and more than 640,000 natural gas customers in Central Maryland. The company’s approximately 3,000 employees are committed to the safe and reliable delivery of gas and electricity, as well as enhanced energy management, conservation, environmental stewardship and community assistance. BGE is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Constellation Energy, www.constellation.com <file:///C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\e48945\Local%20Settings\Temporary%20Internet%20Files\OLK9A\www.constellation.com> , a FORTUNE 500 company also headquartered in Baltimore with subsidiaries that generate, sell and provide other energy-related services to customers throughout North America.