Advertisement
Home Local Maryland Government Announcement Originally published February 28, 2011

Council President Young to Honor Baltimore’s First African-American Public Health Administrator with Ceremonial Street Re-naming



Council President will be joined by Councilwoman Belinda Conaway, City Comptroller Joan M. Pratt, Baltimore Health Commissioner Dr. Oxiris Barbot and the family of Dr. H. Maceo Williams to unveil street sign

WHAT: Today City Council President Bernard C. “Jack” Young will join Councilwoman Belinda Conaway, City Comptroller Joan M. Pratt, Baltimore Health Commissioner Dr. Oxiris Barbot, fellow elected officials and community members to honor Dr. H. Maceo Williams, Baltimore’s first African-American public health administrator, by dedicating the 1500 block of W. North Avenue in honor of Dr. Williams.

Dr. Williams (1898-1973) dedicated his life to improving the health of Baltimore’s African-American community.

Dr. Williams became the city’s first African-American public health administrator when he was named director of the Druid Health Center in 1939. The center was re-named the H. Maceo Williams Clinic on May 3, 1974 in recognition of Dr. Williams’ work to reduce maternal and infant deaths, occurrences of lead paint poisoning, and the rate of death from tuberculosis in Baltimore City.

Dr. Williams was born in Baltimore and educated in the city’s public schools. He graduated from Frederick Douglass High School and went on to receive his medical degree from Howard University’s School of Medicine and a master’s degree in public health from Harvard University. Dr. Williams was also the first African-American member of the Maryland Tuberculosis Sanitarium Commission.

WHEN: TODAY at 10:00 a.m.

WHERE: Dr. H. Maceo Williams Clinic – 1515 W. North Avenue.

EDITOR’S NOTE: Council President Young, Councilwoman Conaway, City Comptroller Joan M. Pratt, Dr. Barbot and members of Dr. Williams’ family will unveil the ceremonial street sign in honor of Dr. H. Maceo Williams around 10:30 a.m. on Monday, February 28, 2011. The sign will be affixed to a light pole at the intersection of W. North and Woodbrook Avenues.