On Monday, January 23, U.S. Senators Ben Cardin and Barbara A. Mikulski (both –D-MD) will join U.S. Senators Tom Carper and U.S. Senator Chris Coons (both D-DE), and U.S. Congressman. John Carney (D-DE) at a poultry summit that will bring together leaders from Delaware and Maryland’s poultry industry, state governments, and congressional delegations to discuss the challenges and opportunities faced by the poultry industry, a vital part of the Delmarva Peninsula’s economy.
The summit is closed to press and the public but summit participants will hold media availability immediately following the event for an overview of the discussion and for Q&A.
The purpose of the summit is to provide a unique opportunity to openly discuss key topics facing the poultry industry today, including: domestic and export sales, labor needs, operating costs, and environmental issues. Moderated by Delaware Agriculture Secretary Ed Kee, this discussion will allow summit participants to discuss how to continue to work together to grow the poultry economy on the Delmarva Peninsula.
Media Availability Following the Poultry Summit:
· When: Monday, January 23, 2012, 12:15 – 12:30 p.m.
· Where: Delmar Volunteer Fire Hall, Bi-State Blvd. and Grove Street, Delmar, DE
· U.S. Senator Ben Cardin (D-MD)
· U.S. Senator Barbara Mikulski (D-MD)
· U.S. Senator Tom Carper (D-DE)
· U.S. Senator Chris Coons (D-DE)
· U.S. Representative John Carney (D-DE)
· Industry leaders
· Maryland and Delaware environment and agriculture leaders