The family of a seven-year-old Detroit girl who was accidentally shot and killed during a videotaped police raid to find a murder suspect is suing A&E television Networks.

According to The Detroit Free Press, a lawsuit filed on Dec. 14 claims A&E was responsible for the May 16 death of Aiyana Stanley-Jones in a police raid that was recorded for use in the “The First 48” television show.

“Defendants, through their presence and actions, provided encouragement to the Detroit Police Department to conduct an illegal, overly aggressive, and unnecessary raid upon the plaintiffs and their residence,” the family’s lawyer, Geoffrey Fieger wrote in the lawsuit, filed in U.S. District Court in Detroit, the Free Press reported.

The family is seeking $75,000 on behalf of Aiyana Jones’ father, Charles Jones, her mother and grandmother. Charles is the personal representative of his daughter’s estate.

Lawyers for the Jones family say there is footage showing that the fatal shot was fired by the police’s Special Response Team from the porch after a flash-bang grenade was thrown into the residence. But police assert that the shot was fired from an officer’s gun inside the house when he came into contact with the girl’s grandmother, Mertilla Jones. She has since denied struggling with the officer.

“The entire incident has been a cover up,” Geoffrey Fieger, a lawyer for Jones’ family told reporters in June, according to the Associated Press. “The rest of the truth will come out.”

According to the AP, the 34-year-old murder suspect police were attempting to apprehend shared the home with Charles Jones. But attorneys told The Detroit News that “there was nothing but innocent people in the home where they put this flash grenade.”

While a no-knock search warrant permitted police to enter and search the home, Karri Mitchell, an Oak Park attorney, told The Detroit News that the officers “were excited; they were on TV…They didn’t have to throw a grenade through the front window when they knew there were children there.”

State police is still investigating the shooting. Michigan state police officials told the Detroit Free Press that forensic laboratory work is being conducted and the results are expected to be released in January.

Detroit Mayor David Bing banned reality television shows from accompanying police raids following the incident. Initially, in the wake of the shooting Bing reprimanded then-Police Chief Warren Evans for allowing the incident to be videotaped, but later fired him when he found out that Evans was planning to appear in a reality show.