By Michelle Richardson, Special to the AFRO

A Baltimore man was found guilty Sept. 28 of the murder of 24-year-old Dionay Smith, the younger brother of the Baltimore Police Department’s chief  spokesman T.J. Smith.

Terrell Gibson, 22, of the 1800 block of West Lafayette Ave., was convicted by a jury of first-degree murder, second-degree murder, first-degree assault, second-degree assault, and reckless endangerment in the shooting death of Dionay Smith.

Terrell Gibson, 22 (l), was found guilty in the murder of 24-year-old Dionay Smith (r). (Baltimore Police and AP Photos)

The trial lasted a week.

According to police, Smith, of the 1400 block of Argyle Ave. in the Upton neighborhood of West Baltimore, was found dead in his home suffering from multiple gunshot wounds.

Gibson was caught on surveillance video entering and leaving the apartment where Smith’s body was found.

On Sept. 28, after Gibson was convicted, T.J. Smith took to social media to express his gratitude to the Baltimore Police Department for their efforts and to remember his brother:

“GUILTY. Because he is. Thank you to every person, every stranger, who offered condolences and prayers. My family appreciates it…. I’m glad that we received justice in his senseless murder.”

Smith went on to mourn the fact that his brother’s children would only have distant memories of him while his murderer would get to forge new memories with his family—albeit through prison bars.

“My hope is that the defendant uses his sentence to reflect, learn, and influence other young men to not choose his path. It is highly likely that he will return to society one day and I hope that when that opportunity presents itself, he uses it to atone for his past transgressions,” Smith said.

Dionay Smith’s death was among 342 homicides in Baltimore in 2017, making Charm City the murder capital among U.S. cities, according to a recent FBI report.

Smith offered commiseration and hope to other Baltimore families affected by the epidemic of violent crime.

“I offer my thoughts, prayers, and condolences to all of those families who have been victims of senseless violence in Baltimore,” Smith said. “For those of you still seeking justice in your loved ones murder, please keep the faith and keep your loved ones memory alive.”

There is still no motive as to why Gibson killed the younger Smith.

“Only those two know what took place in that apartment that day,” said T.J. Smith.

Gibson awaits sentencing in Baltimore Circuit Court.