Ray McDonald

San Francisco 49ers defensive tackle Ray McDonald (91) sits on the bench during the fourth quarter of an NFL football game against the Washington Redskins in Santa Clara, Calif., Sunday, Nov. 23, 2014. (AP Photo/Tony Avelar)

San Francisco 49ers player Ray McDonald is currently under investigation for sexual assault, according to ESPN.

Hospital officials notified the San Jose Police Department that the alleged victim was seeking treatment, which led to the detectives searching McDonald’s San Jose home.

“The victim alleged she was possibly sexually assaulted a day prior,” Sgt. Heather Randol told ESPN. “Based on preliminary investigation, detectives secured a search warrant and served it at the alleged suspect’s residence in San Jose.”

Not long after the investigation was announced, the 49ers released McDonald from their roster.

The NFL, under its new conduct policy, will also undertake an investigation that will not involve law enforcement.

This is not the first time McDonald has been under legal scrutiny this year.  Last month, the Santa Clara County district attorney’s office did not file charges against McDonald in a domestic violence investigation, due to a lack of verifiable eyewitnesses and a lack of cooperation by the alleged victim, McDonald’s fiancée.

McDonald had played all season despite pressure on the 49ers to bench him.

“If this was one incident, we would be standing up here talking about due process, like we have multiple times, in multiple other situations,” 49ers General Manager Trent Baalke told ESPN. “But this is just a pattern of decision-making that Ray has demonstrated over a period of time that, once again, it’s no longer going to be tolerated.”

No arrests have been made, nor have any charges been filed.