By Michelle Richardson, Special to the AFRO

According to investigators a neighborhood fight led to the alleged murder of Annapolis rapper Tre Da Kid. Now a suspect in that homicide has been arrested and charged.

James Esau Davis III, 30, was arrested recently and charged with one count each of first and second-degree murder, firearm use in the commission of a felony violent crime and reckless endangerment, according to online court records.

Edward Montre Seay, 32, known as Tre Da Kid, was gunned down in Annapolis on June 7 while driving along Forest Drive, not too far from the housing complex he grew up in and vowed to give back to.

James Esau Davis, III, 30 has been arrested and charged in the homicide of Annapolis rapper Edward Montre Seay,
32, known as Tre Da Kid. (Courtesy Photo)

A passenger in the car with Seay the night he was killed told police that a man by the name of “Esau” pulled alongside the rapper’s car and opened fire stated police in charging documents.

A bullet grazed the passengers hat while Seay was struck in the head. Seay’s vehicle veered into a ditch before his passenger put the car into park.

“The vehicle sustained multiple defects that appear to have been caused by gunshots,” police reported.

Video surveillance from a fight a few blocks away at the Woodside Gardens Apartment complex, an eyewitness account, and a photo lineup allegedly led police to Davis.

Annapolis police responded to that fight in the 700 block of Newtowne Drive, according to charging documents. No one was arrested and the crowd was told to disperse.

According to Annapolis Police Sgt. Nicole Vaden, the investigators could not disclose a motive for the murder, but said the investigation is “active and fluid.”

It is not known if Davis committed the crime alone. Witnesses allegedly told police that the shots came from the rear of Davis’s car.

Davis is being held with no bond at the Anne Arundel County Detention Center. An attorney for him was not listed in online court records.

Brian Marsh, Deputy State’s Attorney for Anne Arundel County, asked District Court Judge Sidney A. Butcher to keep Davis on a no-bail status. He’s an extreme risk to public safety according to Marsh.

Davis was convicted of second degree murder and using a handgun in a crime of violence in 2006 when he was 17-years old. He was sentenced to 25 years in prison with 13 years to run concurrent for the firearm charge by a Prince George’s County judge.

Davis served part of his sentence at the Patuxent Youth Program and was moved when he became an adult.

In 2012, Davis asked the court went for a reconsideration on his sentence. The judge, Julia B. Weatherly, cut five years off of the second degree murder charge but left the sentence for the handgun charge intact.

Davis was released from prison in April 2018 having served almost 13 years.

After the arrest of Davis, community activists and Seay’s family rallied to ask for help from the community.

“We applaud the police on making this arrest. The murder of Tre Da Kid has left an indelible mark on the City of Annapolis. We are informed that the police received numerous tips from the community,” said Carl O. Snowden, convener of the Caucus of African-American Leaders.

“Gun violence has visited the City of Annapolis, Baltimore, Washington, D.C. and other jurisdictions far too often. It will take the community to draw the line and in Annapolis that line was drawn with the death of Tre Da Kid.”

Annapolis Police encouraged anyone with information to call detectives at 410-260-3439. If callers wish to leave an anonymous tip, they can dial 1-866-7LOCKUP.