Baltimore Ravens COVID Update: Seven players quarantined, team enters intensive protocol

2023
Baltimore Ravens inside linebacker Patrick Queen (48) is among the list of players that tested positive for COVID-19.

By Demetrius Dillard
Special to the AFRO
#AFROCoversCOVID

Following cornerback Marlon Humphrey’s positive coronavirus test earlier this week, seven other Baltimore Ravens players were placed on the reserve/COVID-19 list on Nov. 3. The list includes outside linebackers Matthew Judon and Tyus Bowser, inside linebackers Patrick Queen, L.J. Fort and Malik Harrison, safety DeShon Elliott and cornerback Terrell Bonds, the team announced.

In accordance with the NFL’s intensive protocol, the organization commenced the process of contact tracing after Humphrey tested positive on Nov. 2. 

As determined by league and team doctors, the seven aforementioned players were placed in isolation for a five-day window, meaning they can return to walk-through practice on Nov. 7, assuming their two required coronavirus tests come back negative, according to Coach John Harbugh.

However, because Humphrey has COVID-19 and is in self-isolation for a total of 10 days, can’t play in the game against the Colts. 

Since Nov. 2, the organization hasn’t announced any new positive COVID-19 tests for the Ravens. Still, the team has to follow strict guidelines throughout the week in terms of mask wearing, social distancing and conducting virtual team meetings. 

As the Ravens are looking to rebound from a tough 28-24 home loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers, Coach John Harbaugh expects any one of the players who missed practice over the course of the week to be ready for gameday, which includes running back Mark Ingram, who was placed on injured reserve.

“You see guys sometimes they don’t practice all week and then they come out and they play the best game of their careers,” Harbaugh said. “Other guys might miss something. They’ll be in all the meetings. They’ll be expected to work out virtually. We’ll make the best of it.”

Safety Chuck Clark said that practicing without eight of teammates isn’t a challenge, but rather an opportunity for other players to step up or make proper adjustments. The team stays prepared should instances such as this (injury reserve or COVID-19) occur, he added.

“The year is just different. I’ve been through worse things. Honestly, I feel like our organization is doing things around here so [that] things flow smoothly,” Clark said to the media on Nov. 4.

“The only thing that you can tell is that we are missing a few guys in meetings right now. We’ve had rough patches around here before, worse than this. It’s just, you look at the dynamic of the whole year and things are different, period. But no, we’re tough here, we’re overcomers, and we fight through adversity.”

Judon, who was originally placed on the COVID list as he was considered a high-risk contact, has since been removed and has been activated to the 53-man roster to rejoin Ravens practice Nov. 5 with full participation.