This week, the Baltimore Police Department (BPD), charged a man with the murder of a woman he had been dating, who was reported missing in May of 2017.

Shaquana Marie Caldwell, 26, was last seen on Spruce St. near Fairhaven Ave., in the Curtis Bay community in South Baltimore, on May 14, 2017.

Taras Caldwell, 51, has been charged with first and second degree murder and assault in the death of 26-year-old Shaquana Caldwell. (Courtesy Photos)

Her family reported her missing on May 22, after she didn’t show up for work and they hadn’t heard from her.

Taras Caldwell, 51, of the 1500 block of Spruce St., has been charged with first and second degree murder and assault in the death of Shaquana Caldwell.

Family members say despite the victim and the suspect having the same last name, they were not married; Taras Caldwell was the victim’s boyfriend.

Caldwell’s body was found in a wooded area in the 500 block of Ordnance Road in Anne Arundel County in June by hikers. She was identified using dental records.

“He got into an argument with her and murdered her inside of an apartment here in Baltimore, and then took her to Anne Arundel County,” Baltimore City Police Chief Spokesman T.J. Smith said at a press conference Jan. 29.

Taras, who served 17 years of a 30 year sentence for killing another woman in July of 1998, was released from prison in 2015.

Taras was found in Park City, Utah and arrested on violation of parole for the 1998 murder.

He was brought back to Baltimore where, according to the BPD, he confessed to Caldwell’s murder.

The chief medical examiner stated that Caldwell was killed by asphyxiation. The woman that Taras was convicted of killing in 1998 died in the same manner.

There was no attorney listed for Taras Caldwell in online court records.

A woman identifying herself as Shaquana Caldwell’s cousin on Facebook told the AFRO, “I’m happy he is back behind bars so he can’t hurt anyone else like he did my cousin. She didn’t deserve this and we always had our suspicions of him when they was dating.”