The Coppin State University Lady Eagles’ softball team produced their second straight come from behind victory when they overcame a 4-0 deficit after four innings to defeat the George Washington Colonials, 5-4, on a foggy, rainy March 23 evening at Coppin State Field in West Baltimore, Md.

Coppin State (5-7 overall) had just come from behind, 3-1 down in the top of the seventh inning, to win the second game of a doubleheader, 4-3, at Mount St. Mary’s last week on March 17.

Initially, it didn’t look like Coppin was going to pull off the victory this time around as GW pitcher Heidi Penna held Coppin to one hit through the first four innings.

George Washington (10-10-1) began to build a lead at the top of the third inning when after one out, Judy Orlandi walked and stole second base. Then Chelsea Lenhart ripped a single to left, driving in Orlandi to give GW the 1-0 lead. Katie Terrazas walked, then Autumn Taylor reached on a bobbled ground ball by Charma Robinson which loaded the bases.

GW was able to add a couple more runs in the top of the fourth when Alexandra Del Prete and Sandi Moynihan both batted in single runs.

But the Coppin bats started coming alive in the bottom of the fifth as senior Jade Dudley singled to center, then Arnold singled to right. Next, Patrice Williams reached on a bunt single to load the bases.

In the bottom of the sixth inning, Coppin senior Stacey Burgos led off with a double down the right field line. Lady Eagles’ junior pitcher Paige Arnold then took to the plate and smacked Penna’s pitch over the left center field fence for a three-run homer to give Coppin the 5-4 advantage.

“Our pitcher made a mistake and it’s one pitch,” Colonials head coach Stacey Schramm said.

Coppin head coach Larry Hineline suggested that he knew his batters would come alive.

“I don’t want to rely on three-run homers. But we got a couple of boppers in Jade and Paige that can hit the long ball,” Hineline said. “Sooner or later, they can leave the park. Between them last year, they had about 20 home runs. So right now, they’ve got three. So we’re going to get some more.”

The second game was called in the top of the second due to rain and Coppin State was already ahead 4-0. The next game for the Lady Eagles is March 30 when they host Mount St. Mary’s for a double-header.