Up until July 30 the District had gone 14 days without a homicide, but six separate shootings on July 30 left three people dead, making it one of the most violent days in weeks.

DC Crime

One of the shootings included a homicide along Interstate 295 which caused traffic delays early in the morning on July 30. Police said they responded to a report of gunshots around 2:28 a.m. on July 30. Officials said they found 25-year-old Judonne Stephens and another man suffering from gunshot wounds inside of a vehicle at the Firth Sterling Avenue overpass in Southeast.

Both of the victims were transported to a local hospital for treatment. Stephens died on July 31 from his injuries, police reported.

Sean Hickman, a spokesperson for the police department, told the AFRO Aug. 1 that no arrests have been made in the case and police are searching for suspects involved in the crime.

Several other shootings took place on July 30 as well.

According to police reports, the first shooting took place at a little after 2 a.m. in the 900 block of Emerson Street NW close to the Brightwood Park neighborhood. It was followed by the Interstate 295 homicide near Suitland Parkway and another shooting, occurring at 2:40 a.m., in the 5300 block of Georgia Avenue NW. Then police also reported a shooting in the 2400 block of Elvans Road SE at about 3:15 a.m.

A few minutes later, Edward Roberts Jr., 29, was shot and killed in the 3500 block of 14th Street NW. Police said they responded to a report for sounds of gunshots. Authorities added they found Roberts Jr. suffering from numerous gunfire wounds. He later died at an area hospital.

At about 3:50 a.m. a 19-year-old girl was shot and killed inside of a residence on Good Hope Road in SE. Police said they found Anaiona Gaston from Hyattsville, Md. in the 2300 block of Good Hope Road suffering from a gunshot wound. D.C. Fire and EMS personnel pronounced the victim dead at the scene.

Police arrested Malik Fields, 21, of Southeast, for suspected connection in the murder. Fields is being charged with second degree murder while armed and will appear in court on Aug. 15, according to D.C. Courts.

A 6-year-old boy was struck by gunfire around 5 p.m. on July 30. Officials said he was shot in the leg not far from a playground outside of an apartment complex in Southeast. Police said at least one gunman opened fire, but the child was not the intended target. Police are now searching for suspects involved in the incident who were described as two men wearing black masks at the time of the shooting. The boy is reported to be alive and at a local hospital as of July 30.