Miami Dolphins receiver Brandon Marshall was released from Broward General Hospital in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. hospital on April 23 after being treated for a stab wound suffered during a domestic-violence dispute with his wife, according to reports.

ESPN reports that the 27-year-old star underwent emergency surgery during the early morning on April 23 after his 26-year-old wife, Michi Nogami-Marshall, stabbed him with a kitchen knife on April 22. The Broward County Sherriff’s Office arrested her April 22 on a domestic-violence charge of aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, the Associated Press reports. ESPN reports Brandon Marshall initially told police he’d fallen on a broken glass vase, but police found no evidence to substantiate that claim. Michi later told police she stabbed her husband in self-defense; she was released that same afternoon on a $7,500 bond, according to ESPN.

“This is a very difficult time for Brandon and family, thankfully he will make a full recovery,” Marshall’s agents, Kennard McGuire and Harvey Steinberg, said in a statement reported on “We simply ask that his privacy is respected.”

ESPN reports that no vital organs were pierced during the stabbing, and Marshall is expected to be fully recovered in two or three weeks. Dolphins officials told ESPN their team doctors are allowed to consult with Marshall and his private doctors, despite the current league lockout.

“We are aware of the report, and our thoughts are with Brandon at this time,” a Dolphins official said in a statement released to the public. “We will look into the matter, but because we are not allowed to have any contact with any of our players we will refrain from making any further comment.”

Marshall was acquired in a trade with the Denver Broncos last April, signing a four-year deal with Miami worth $47.5 million, $24 million guaranteed, the AP reports. He led the Dolphins with 1,014 receiving yards during the 2010 season and also put up Pro Bowl numbers during his two years in Denver. His play, however, was overshadowed by his behavior off the field. He was suspended by the Broncos organization in 2009 after protesting his contract during a practice session, walking during running drills and swatting away balls during passing drills.

Marshall was also arrested on assault and domestic violence charges three different times between 2004 and 2007 and was tagged as an instigator in the fight that led to the 2006 shooting death of Broncos cornerback Darrent Williams, according to the ESPN.