Officer Edward Nero, center, one of six Baltimore city police officers charged in connection to the death of Freddie Gray, leaves a courthouse after being acquitted of all charges in his trial in Baltimore, Monday, May 23, 2016. (AP Photo/Patrick Semansky)

Officer Edward Nero, center, one of six Baltimore city police officers charged in connection to the death of Freddie Gray, leaves a courthouse after being acquitted of all charges in his trial in Baltimore, Monday, May 23, 2016. (AP Photo/Patrick Semansky)

On May 23 Baltimore police officer Edward Nero walked into a downtown Baltimore City courtroom to learn his fate in the death of 25 year old Freddie Gray. Officer Nero was one of the arresting officers of Gray on April 12, 2015; a week later Gray fell into a coma and died of a spinal cord injury he sustained in police custody in the back of a police van. Nero, along with five other officers; William Porter, Caesar Goodson Jr, Brian Rice, Garrett Miller, and Alicia White were all charged with various misdemeanor’s and felonies.

The verdict for Officer Nero: Baltimore City Circuit Court Judge Barry Williams found him not guilty of all charges. Nero faced charges of second-degree assault, reckless endangerment and two counts of misconduct in office; with Officer Nero’s acquittal, what’s next for the city of Baltimore?

Who is Officer Edward Nero?

Edward Nero is from Sewell, New Jersey, graduated from Washington Township high school in 2004, and was a volunteer firefighter with the Washington Township Fire Department between 2002-2012 before moving to Baltimore in 2012 and joining the Baltimore City Police Department. “An outstanding and dedicated firefighter,” said Gloucester County Fire Chief John Hoffman said in a statement about Nero, adding that, “He was never in trouble. He was generally a good guy.”

Officer Nero, along with Officer Garrett Miller came in contact with Freddie Gray while on bike patrol on North Avenue and Mount Street. He and Officer Miller chased Gray on their bikes, placing him under arrest along the 1700 block of Presbury Street. While handcuffed, dragged several feet, and held face down on concrete; Gray asked for an inhaler but Miller and Nero didn’t respond.

The arrest report specifies that the two officers found an illegal switchblade; even though Baltimore’s State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby later said the knife was legal under state law. Officer Nero was one of three officers who failed to establish probable cause and illegally arrested Gray, according to Mosby, and then failed to seatbelt Gray which is against Baltimore Police Department procedure.

What’s next for the remaining 5 officers?

Though he has been acquitted of all charges, Officer Nero is under a gag order and still assigned to administrative duty pending an internal investigation. According to a statement released by Baltimore City Police Media Relations Director T.J. Smith, “Although the criminal case against Officer Edward Nero has come to a close, the internal investigation has not. With that, Officer Nero’s status will remain unchanged. He will remain in an administrative capacity while this investigation continues.”

“The internal investigation is being handled by other police departments. The internal investigation will not be completed until all of the criminal cases against the other five officers are completed because they will likely be witnesses in each case.”

Officer William Porter was tried in what resulted in a mistrial in December 2015. A later trial date for September 6, 2016 has been set. Judge Barry Williams has ruled that while Porter awaits his new trial, he is compelled to testify against his fellow officers.

The next officer to go on trial is Caesar Goodson Jr, the driver of the police van and the officer who faces the most serious charges in Gray’s death including second-degree depraved heart murder, manslaughter by vehicle (gross negligence), manslaughter by vehicle (involuntary), and Second-degree assault. The trial of Officer Goodson, who joined the Baltimore City Police Department in 1999, is set for June 6, 2016.

The highest ranking officer charged in the death of Gray once had his weapons seized by Carroll County sheriff’s deputies after an ex-girlfriend reported she was alarmed by some of his comments, according to police documents. Lt. Brian Rice had seven weapons taken from him in 2012 after local authority were called to check on Rice’s well-being. Rice, who was the third officer on bike patrol, with Nero and Miller, is charged with false imprisonment, two counts of second-degree assault, misconduct in office, and involuntary manslaughter. Lt Brian Rice’s trial is scheduled to begin July 5, 2016.

Officer Garrett Miller, one of the officers on bike patrol who chased Gray when he fled from Lt Rice, joined the force in 2012. States Attorney Marilyn Mosby said Miller tried to put Gray in a “leg lace,” a restraining technique that Gray was held in until the BPD van arrived on the scene. Miller is charged with five misdemeanor charges, two second-degree assault charges, a count of false imprisonment, and two counts of misconduct in office. His trial date is set for July 27, 2016.

The second highest ranking officer charged in the death of Gray, was promoted to sergeant in January and joined the force in 2010. White met the van on its last stop before the final drive to the Western District police station. She was responsible for investigating two citizen complaints against Gray’s arrest. White tried to speak to Gray in the van but he didn’t respond. Mosby said White, “did nothing further despite the fact she needed a medic. White made no effort to further examine his condition or call anyone.” At the Western District police station, White and other officer’s unloaded Gray but by that time he was not breathing. Her trial date has been set for October 13, 2016.