By Mark F. Gray, Special to the AFRO,

Victor Page was an iconic urban basketball legend who became a top prospect at Georgetown University seemingly destined for a career in the NBA.  Now Page faces 20 years in prison after pleading guilty to sexually assaulting his girlfriend’s 17-year-old daughter last December.

Prince George’s County State’s Attorney Aisha N. Braveboy announced that the former all Big East basketball player was sentenced to 25 years in prison with five years suspended for strangling and attempting to sexually assault his live-in girlfriend’s 17-year-old daughter. Page had previously pled guilty to first-degree assault and attempted fourth-degree sex offense in his plea agreement last month.

After a checkered past, Georgetown University basketball star Victor Page was sentenced to 25 years in prison with five years suspended for strangling and attempting to sexually assault his live-in girlfriend’s 17-year-old daughter. (Courtesy Photo)

“I am pleased that this case has been fully resolved and that we were able to hold Mr. Victor Page accountable for his despicable actions and that he cannot harm anyone else for a very long time,” Braveboy said. 

In the wake of the “Me Too” movement Braveboy applauded the victim and her family for reporting Page and his actions.

“I also applaud this victim and her family for having the courage to stand up to Mr. Page throughout this process in the criminal justice system.”

Last December, Page forced his way into the victim’s bedroom and pushed her to the ground.  He started strangling and attempted to remove her clothing before she escaped into the parking garage of the apartment complex where the trio lived. 

However, according to the State’s Attorney’s office announcement, surveillance cameras caught the former Georgetown star in the garage where he forced her to the ground and began strangling her for a significant period of time. Several individuals from the apartment complex arrived and three people were then able to rescue the victim from Page.  

Based on the terms of the plea agreement and the sentence handed down by the Court, Page will also be on supervised probation for five years and must complete a mental health evaluation when he is released. He must also register on the Sex Offender Registry for 15 years.

Despite troubles as a youth during the early 1990s, basketball was a sanctuary for the troubled athlete, who distinguished himself as one of the great players in D.C. basketball history. Page averaged 31 points per game and lead McKinley Tech to the District championship and was considered one of the best pure local prospects in a decade especially after scoring 47 points in one game.

However, behind the numbers was a difficult childhood. Page lived with 11 relatives while growing up in one of Anacostia’s most dangerous communities. Both parents died tragically when he was young, but Georgetown gave him a chance for redemption and during his freshman year he appeared to be on track.

Page teamed with Allen Iverson to form one of the most dynamic backcourts in college basketball.  He was a member of the 1995–96 Hoyas team that advanced to the quarterfinals of the NCAA Tournament led by Iverson and was named to the Big East All-Rookie team.  

However, his life spiraled out of control after his basketball career ended.  In 2003, Page was shot in the right eye and lost it completely. 

By 2013 he was sentenced to ten years for second-degree assault and was paroled before this latest incident.