By AFRO Staff
Erected in what was Old West Baltimore in 1877, historic Henry Highland Garnet School (PS 103), was named after the abolitionist and minister. Now almost 150 years later another city institution rooted in Old West Baltimore is tasked with the redevelopment of PS 103.
Beloved Community Services CDC is an affiliate of Union Baptist (established in 1852), headed by Rev. Alvin Hathaway.
Architect Dale Green, a member of the development team assembled by Rev. Al Hathaway and Beloved Community Services CDC, to develop historic Henry Highland Garnet School. (Courtesy photo)
“Beloved Community Services Corporation sees the rebuilding of School 103 as the launch pin and catalyst for rebuilding West Baltimore with significant investment, affordable housing, economic opportunities and job creation,” said Hathaway in an email.
PS 103, commonly known as the Thurgood Marshall School (Supreme Court Justice Marshall attended the school from 1914-1920), will be used to house some of Marshall’s memorabilia, as well as a replication of one of the late Rep. Elijah Cummings campaign office.
The property located at 1315 Division St., will ultimately be developed into office space, and be the home to The Judge Alexander Williams, Jr. Center for Education, Justice and Ethics. Additionally, the building will serve as office space for the National Park Service. The estimated cost of the redevelopment is $6.1 million.
PS 103 offers more than 14,000 square feet of developable space, within a lot of more than 30,000 square feet. There are also adjacent parking spaces located in the 1300 block of Etting Street.