By Chrisleen Herard,
Special to the AFRO
On the morning of Oct. 27, a 15-year-old boy was accompanied by his parents to the Carver Vocational Technical High School in Baltimore, not to attend classes or study with peers, but with the intention of assaulting an unidentified victim, according to Baltimore authorities. In the end, three teenagers were wounded and the 15-year-old boy’s parents were taken into custody as well.
“No resident in any corner of our city should feel unsafe going to school in the morning,” Baltimore City Council President Nick Mosby released in a statement. “No parent in our city should feel uneasy dropping their son or daughter off at the school doors. It’s simply unacceptable, but that paralyzing fear is something too many residents in our city live with each day. We needed no reminder of that, but today brought all of those fears back to the surface.”
Shortly before 8 a.m. on Oct. 27, the unidentified 15-year-old boy and his parents allegedly assaulted an unidentified victim. In this assault, the 15-year-old reportedly pistol-whipped the victim before fleeing the scene.
During the teen’s escape, he encountered a 15-year-old Carver High School student in front of the school’s building and a verbal altercation ensued. Amid the argument, both juveniles pulled out a weapon and fired multiple rounds, striking each other and a 16-year-old student who was not involved. Another uninvolved student recovered one of the weapons on the scene and fled the area.
Carver High School was placed on lockdown and dismissed its students at 10:30 a.m., when authorities confirmed it was safe. The two teens involved in the incident and the third student who claimed one of the weapons from the shooting were taken into custody along with the 15-year-old boy’s parents, who participated in the initial attack.
“This is a despicable example of parents facilitating the escalation of everyday conflict between young people into reckless gun violence endangering innocent lives,” Baltimore Mayor Brandon Scott said. “I hope all responsible for this incident, including the parents, will be brought to justice.”
The Maryland Department of Juvenile Services released a research brief last month regarding juvenile crime in the state and discovered that murder and attempted murder arrests for juveniles in Baltimore have “consistently increased over the past five years,” while non-fatal shootings have increased over the past decade. There have been over 500 shooting incidents in Baltimore this year alone.
“Our department will continue to work diligently in removing illegal guns off our streets and in the hands of our young people,” Baltimore Police Commissioner Richard Worley said. “This must be an all hands-on-deck approach to reduce violence amongst our young people, while also holding those responsible for violence in our city.”
The 16-year-old who was injured in the shooting was released after receiving medical treatment, while the two 15-year-olds remain in a local hospital under police custody and are reported to be in stable condition. Both juveniles will be charged as adults for numerous charges, including attempted murder, when they are released. Charges for the parents are currently pending.