Former New York Giants linebacker Lawrence Taylor is being sued by a Florida man who claims Taylor’s car struck his van on a Miami highway last year, according to reports.
Taylor, 51, was originally charged by authorities with leaving the scene of an accident.
According to Miami’s WFOR-TV, lawyers for Manuel Villari Castillo, 51, said last November’s accident caused him permanent physical injury and mental impairment.
Castillo, an air conditioning technician, no longer has the ability to earn as much money as he did before the accident, according to a complaint filed against Taylor on May 19. Castillo’s lawsuit seeks more than $15,000 in damages.
Police arrested Taylor after they found him in his car off an exit on the Palmetto Expressway. Taylor admitted to authorities that he had driven away from the scene of an accident, but told police he hit a guardrail.
Taylor also currently faces statutory rape charges, after being accused of having sex with a 16-year-old girl at a New York hotel.