Manslaughter charges have been filed against a Nigerian woman who allegedly left a Houston, Texas day care center unattended that was the scene of a fire last month that left four toddlers dead and three injured, the U.S. Marshals Service said March 4.

The charges grew out of an indictment against Jessica Tata, a Houston-based day care provider and include 10 counts of reckless injury and child abandonment for leaving the children unattended to go shopping.

Surveillance cameras show Tata shopping at Target between 1:09 p.m. and 1:24 p.m., moments before the first 911 calls about the blaze Feb. 24, according to BV Black Spin.

Seven young children, ranging from 3-years-old to 18-months-old, were inside.

Four children, ranging from 3-years-old to 18-months-old perished, one injured child was released from the hospital, and two, a 2-year-old girl and 20-month-old boy, remain at Shiners Hospital for Children in Galveston in stable condition.

Investigators say the fire may have started from an unattended pot of oil burning on the kitchen stove.

Officials issued a warrant for Tata’s arrest three days after the incident, but sources had warned investigators the woman might flee the country. A spokeswoman for the Harris County District Attorney’s Office said the tips weren’t enough for authorities to detain her.

“The state had to establish there were no other employees or adults on site at the time the defendant left the residence,” spokeswoman Donna Hawkins told The Houston Chronicle.

But family members of the victims said the city’s response was not good enough. They are still trying to cope with the reality that their children are gone.

“I’m sorry, no there’s no forgiveness for anyone who makes an income watching children and has an audacity to leave them for one second,” the grandmother of one of the dead told CBS’ Houston affiliate KHOU on Feb. 27.

Fire Department Chief Terry Garrison and the U.S. Marshals Service in Houston told the Associated Press they have issued a “red notice” to the international police agency Interpol, which alerts law enforcement around the world to look for suspects.

Garrison admitted that officials should have kept a better eye on Tata.
“Somewhere along the way we may have made a mistake. We are not going to blame anybody,” he told the AP.

It might be difficult for authorities to extradite Tata even if she’s found in Nigeria, according to attorney Douglass McNabb, a specialist in international extradition law.

He said Nigeria and the United States signed an extradition treaty back in 1935, but Tata’s alleged crimes might not be included under the provisions.

“If (Tata’s) family engages an experienced extradition attorney, they could really tie this sucker up for a very long time. It could drag on for years,” McNabb told the AP.

In addition to seven charges of reckless injury of a child filed against Tata, prosecutors added three counts of abandoning a child. If indicted, she will face up to 20 years in prison for each reckless injury charge and up to 10 years for the charges of abandoning a child.